Are You Ready?

3/19/09

SUNDAY BREAKFAST




BISCUITS AND GRAVY
So, it is Saturday night and I am at the grocery store picking up a few things. Nothing in particular just getting stuff because I simply had nothing to do and I was in the neighborhood. Since, I really don't have much of a life I tried to trick myself into thinking that I had one. Because "I" was right there and all, I started to call some friends... you know to seem important and all. "What are you doing?" quickly followed by, " What are you doing in the morning?"

After being asked one by one what all the irrelevant questions were about, "... aaah, I decided I was in the mood for... biscuits and gravy... tomorrow... morning... umm, are you in?" **Good save, now maybe my friends think I have a life, too!

This went on for two, three, four phone calls. Right there in the middle of Sentry on State Street, [that is where I shop.] It was kind of pathetic, you know, not having anything to do on a Saturday night but hit on the big beautiful Polish boy stocking butter in the dairy aisle. Between you and me; I even gave him a pet name, "butter-boy!" So, for a few fleeting moments I was in love with "butter-boy". We actually had a conversation about packaging. It was interesting. It was so embarrassingly clear that he was really, really into me. One good thing did come out of it. Through our long and bonding conversation: I have a new favorite orange juice. Simply Orange! No pulp!

I know what you are thinking! No! It isn't my favorite new orange juice because I asked "butter boy" what his favorite orange juice was and he just happened to say, " Simply Orange. No pulp!"

Ok! That is why... Gimme a break! I told you I was trying to trick myself into thinking I had a life...

Anyway, after my serious long-term relationship with "butter-boy" came to an end I proceeded to gather up the ingredients for my famous biscuits and gravy and a bottle of wine. After the "break-up" I picked up the pieces of my broken heart, paid for my groceries, and went home.

When I woke the next morning I brewed myself a pot of Johnson Brothers Coffee and was proud of myself for how well I was handling the break-up. Since Michael was off to Chicago for a tete e tete that would mean that I was gonna have to make the biscuits, too. That job usually belongs to someone else like Michael so, I ended up making a couple of batches of Bisquick drop biscuits.

In a large skillet I cooked 1 pound of breakfast sausage over medium heat until browned. Cook it slowly to render all of the fat. I use the stuff that comes in a tube. I poured the fat from the sausage into a large pot and set it aside. Reserve sausage.



I slow cooked a pound of bacon until all of the fat was rendered the same way I did for the sausage. Since bacon usually tends to yield more fat than sausage I poured the drippings into a glass measuring cup and added the same amount of bacon fat to the large stock pot of sausage fat. Using equal parts I had a little more than a 1/2 cup of fat and drippings. Don't forget; I am cooking for 5 men with enormous morning appetites. Besides, I am cooking now... I have a life! ... You can eat all the bacon and sausage fat you want when you have a life!



On medium heat bring the pot-o-fat up to heat. Add an equal amount of flour to the pan incorporating the two to make a roux. You want to make sure that all of the fat is absorbed with flour. You may need to sprinkle more flour until the shine from the fat goes away. Stir and cook a few minutes.


Slowly stir in milk a little at a time constantly whisking to thoroughly incorporate the roux and the milk. Be careful not to add too much milk at the beginning. Slowly add more milk while whisking until you've combined about a 1/2 gallon of milk. At this time add plenty of fresh cracked black pepper, and salt to taste. Sometimes I add a little sage at this point, depending upon the seasoning in the sausage that I am using at the time. Slowly simmer until it reaches your desired thickness. If gravy is a little too thin keep simmering until it thickens-up.



While that is going on cook enough bacon to keep the pigs at bay! Believe it or not I usually cook about a half pound per person. I cooked 2 pounds for the five of us today. Add the sausage and the first pound of crumbled bacon to the gravy and serve piping hot over fresh-from-the-oven biscuits.


I have been throwing this one down for years! And believe me they will gobble this up like crazy. Serve with your favorite Sunday morning alcoholic beverage. We drank Champagne!


Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. Stacey's Big Bro31 March, 2009

    Hey bro I still can't get that pesto just right, and i havn't ate any good pesto since you left, Well i was good for about a month until all the frozen cube's of pesto ran out, now i have tried all the crap sold in the markets and i can't stomack anymore, So put a recipe up for your Big Bro, love you bro....Michael in sunny California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey's Big Bro31 March, 2009

    P.S. Your uncle Mark Couldn't make it out there and is on his way back home as i write this, coming home alone, all by himself, unmarried. To bad i didn't find out sooner u may have got on board and came home to sunny California, and last sad news Bones just passed away i guess lisa really took it hard, I get a lil lump in my throat when i think about him, dam got to go have something in my eye. Later Bro............Michael

    ReplyDelete