Are You Ready?

6/29/09

SUMMER MOJITOS



This is a recipe I extracted from an old issue of "FOOD & WINE" FROM 2006. It was featured in an article of Jacques Pepin in Mexico, if I remember correctly! Point is, I have made this a many times since and I just remembered how great it is and I thought I would share. Truth be told - I tore the recipe out of the magazine and I haven't been able to find it for awhile. Viola! I found it and here is the recipe exactly as it was printed. I am in the process of making it as I blog! Enjoy this, I know that you are going to love it!

Unlike traditional granita, which is stirred frequently as it freezes so that light ice flakes form, Jacques freezes his granite in a block until it is completely firm, then softens it in the fridge until it's slightly slushy before scooping it into bowls. The sauce for his light, tropical dessert is a riff on the mojito, the minty cocktail.

2 1/4 cups fresh pink grapefruit juice

(from 2 large grapefruits)

3 Tablespoons honey

1 Tablespoon grenadine

1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, plus 4 sprigs for garnish

3 Tablespoons sugar

1/4 cup light rum

3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into 4 halves


1. MAKE THE GRANITE: In a 8-inch square glass dish stir together the grapefruit juice, honey,and grenadine. Freeze the mixture until solid, at least 3 hours.

2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the mint leaves, sugar, rum and lime juice and puree. Refrigerate the mojito.

3. About 30 minutes before serving, transfer the gratine to the refrigerator to soften. Cut each mango half lengthwise into slices. Pour the mojito into a shallow bowls. Fan out the mango slices in the bowls and top with two large scoops of the gratine.

Garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.

Note: Gratine can be frozen for up to a1 week. This is a dessert. Be creative and turn it into a cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment