Are You Ready?

7/24/09

CAROL'S RO*TEL PIE

This quick no-fuss dish will be great to pass
at your next potluck!


We have all had and/or made a casserole, hot dish... what ever it is y'all call 'em! I mean what hasn't been mixed with a can of cream of "whatever"? I have been trying to come up with something new - something fresh, different. I finally had to realize that I am not going to re-invent the casserole - at least not yet! So, this is something that a very dear friend of mine Carol has shared with me many years ago. This is comfort at its best. There is only one problem... I can't stop eating it.
3-5 skin-on chicken breast boiled in seasoned water*
1 large bag of white[low salt] corn chips, crushed
2 cans of cream of "whatever" condensed soup
1 can of ro*tel
lots of cheese [use what ever you like and as much as you like!]
*reserved broth
Boil chicken breast in seasoned water. I like to season my water with oregano, garlic, and onions. Remove skin, shred chicken and discard skin. In a 9"x 13" pan layer crushed corn chips. Ladle 2-2 1/2 cups of seasoned broth over the crushed corn chips. Layer the shredded chicken on top of the chips and broth. In a sauce pan heat the 2 cans of cream of "whatever" and the 1 can of ro*tel and bring up to heat. Pour this mixture over the chicken, spread evenly over the top and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes top with grated cheese and continue baking until bubbly.
As this dish is baking the broth will reconstitute the broken-up chips and form a masa like crust similar to that of a tamale. There are several types of ro*tel. I have found that the diced tomato and green chiles works the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment